Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Donations to Wikipedia is a Money Allocated for a Cause.
Going back to the Wiki story, if Wikipedia is useless to my side job, why I put such title for this article? It is because Wikipedia's founder has been appealing in very page of the site for donations (as I saw it last december 26 when I made my donation). I did try to put some of mine (donation) and it went through perfectly. I donated a very little amount of course as we are all frugal in terms of donations. However, any amount would do and if many would respond, with all the users of the site, at least even $1 each, I think it can make the site run smoothly for a long period. How many millions do use Wikipedia? I know much. You can donate by Paypal as I did. I forgot to see other options as I was so excited when I saw that Paypal was okay.
So why did I donate?
1. I believe in the cause of the site. Although it cannot be cited in many papers, it can still be read and the contents relate to what they are supposed to relate to. The references are correct although I cannot vouch for the accuracy and reliability but I always find most articles worthy of my time spent reading.
2. It is a wonderful and easy way to begin a search or a research. I always start at Wikipedia when I do papers. I try to understand the topic deeper and Wikipedia is an entertaining (not boring) way to start: at least for me. When I understand many things about my topic, I proceed to work with my subscription database and it makes the work a lot faster.
3. It is free. What else can we ask for? The reason why the founder is/was appealing to the public is because of the fact that maintaining the site is not free and naturally not easy. Thus, it makes it more worthy to donate no matter how little you think your donations can be. Your donations are a big help for users who are unable to buy subscriptions to expensive sources of knowledge.
4. It is a very useful link provider; you'd know where to go. Many topics are interrelated and linked. External links are as well provided there. This is why the reason number 2 above exists.
5. Who else has the goal to make anything/everything known under the sun? This the reason why I admire the vision of the one who founded this site. It is simply a good thing to put every thing in writing, without discrimination as to who shared them. Let the world be equipped with more knowledge.
So what are you waiting for? Donate to Wikipedia's cause now. That can be a $1 and YOU can make a difference. In the donation page, there are default values (such as $30,$50, $100) but you can go to the custom (Other) amount and make the donation you can afford. Believe me, you'll feel good after donating, no matter how small that is. I did! Just click HERE..