Saturday, February 6, 2010
Wikimedia Annual Report Shared to Its Donors and to Everyone!
I feel so proud receiving such e-mail I copied from my mailbox. Donating a small amount when Wikipedia asked for it this year, 2010. I don't actually remember receiving a similar one when I did also donate for the same Wikipedia cause of maintaining the site without ads in 2009. This year is different. Aside from the usual acknowledgment and gratefulness note, I also received the message I quoted below. Long live Wikipedia and I do hope your goal of sharing information to the whole world is fulfilled. Take note of the mentioned links; if you are interested, I am sharing this to all of you.
Earlier this month, we completed the most successful fundraiser in the
history of Wikipedia. In total, we received more than USD 8 million from over
230,000 donors. Thank you so much for your generosity.
We're also grateful to our foundation supporters this year, including the
Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Omidyar Network, Stanton Foundation, and
the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation.
This was the most successful fundraiser for our international
chapter organizations, who received more than USD 1.8 million in donations.
Our chapters support Wikimedia's work on the ground in 27 countries or
regions, and are our partners in many international projects.
Today, I am very pleased to share with you our Annual Report for the
time period of July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2009. During that time:
* Wikipedia and its sister projects grew by 1.6 billion words and 1.8
million media files.
* We expanded our global readership to more than 300 million visitors
* We launched initiatives to substantially improve Wikipedia's ease of use.
* We continued to invest in operations infrastructure and innovative
* We began developing new partnerships to increase Wikipedia's quality.
For details, I encourage you to review our Annual Report, which
also includes our audited financials:
Wikimedia is a unique global movement to share the world's knowledge,
to deepen our understanding of the world and each other. Thank you
again for being part of our story.
Executive Director, Wikimedia Foundation
- - -
* To donate: http://donate.wikipedia.org
* Wikimedia Blog: http://blog.wikimedia.org
* Technology Blog: http://techblog.wikimedia.org
* Financial information: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Financial_reports